1)Be sure to keep lunch boxes in the fridge if you’ve made it the night before – this will keep it fresh!
2) Get creative with their foods – use shaped cutters on their sandwiches for a little fun at lunch time or make faces/designs from the ingredients …they’ll love it.
3) Make lunches with your kids, let them help out and give some suggestions this will help them understand a balanced diet.
4) Ensure to incorporate a variety of proteins, grains, fruit & veg. Keep things interesting by switching between sandwiches, wraps, pita pockets, baguettes etc …they’ll be excited to try new things!
5) Encourage them to eat the rainbow – green lettuce, red tomatoes, yellow peppers, purple grapes – fruit & veg are packed full of essential nutrients to keep them functioning throughout the day
6) Include a wipe or a sheet of kitchen roll so spillages can be mopped up quickly
7) Always include a drink to keep your child hydrated - this will help keep them focused during lessons. Go for still or sparkling water, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, or unsweetened fruit juice.
8) Read the label of any food you are buying for your child's lunchbox - some foods that you may next expect will contain sugar. (tip: A product is high in sugar if it contains 15g or more of sugar per 100g).
Got any good tips to share with other mums? Feel feel to let us know on our Facebook page!