Beef and Mushroom Stew
Cook Time: 40 mins
For a hearty and wholesome family dinner, create this delicious Beef & Mushroom stew – perfect for those colder winter evenings. Our enjoy local mushrooms are produced locally near the Southern shore of Lough Neagh in Lurgan, Co.Armagh.
What you'll need
- 750g enjoy local lean frying steak
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions,
- 2 sticks celery,
- 4 rashers streaky bacon,
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 550ml beef stock, made with 2 cubes
- 250g enjoy local mushrooms
- 25g butter
- handful chopped parsley
- Peel and chop two onions
- Chop two sticks of celery
- Chop Bacon
- Slice Mushrooms
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan and add the bacon,
- Cook until crisp and then remove from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of the oil to the remaining bacon fat and heat until hot.
- Add the meat and seal off. Remove from pan.
- Add half the butter, onions and celery to the juices.
- Cook for 10 minutes then mix in the flour and tomato puree.
- Cook for 2 minutes then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and whisk.
- Place the sealed meat and bacon in a casserole and pour over the onion mixture.
- Simmer on the stove top with a lid for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When meat is fork tender heat the remaining oil in a frying pan until hot and add the mushrooms until golden.
- Add parsley to the stew.
- Check seasoning and serve with creamy mash using potatoes sourced from Northern Ireland.
Serve with SPAR’s enjoy local potatoes which are grown locally on William Orr’s Drumlin Farm in Co.Down.