The Chef - White Sauce
What you'll need
For one litre of sauce;
• 711ml Whole Milk
• 1 medium Diced Onion
• 2 cloves Diced Garlic
• 70g Butter
• 70g Plain Flour
• 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
• Salt & ground white pepper to taste
Although in some of the recipes the amounts will vary, the principal is the same.
- In a thick based pan at a high heat, melt the butter and add the onions and the garlic, cook until the onions are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until it thickens and the mix is starting to come away from the sides of the pan.
- Slowly add the milk and stir until smooth.
- Once all the milk is added turn down the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add in the mustard and the seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
You should now have a smooth white sauce that’s ready to be used for a variety of great dishes.