Cook Time: 1 hour 0 mins
Moist and slightly spiced, this courgette loaf cake has a zesty cream cheese icing.
What you'll need
For the sponge
Sunflower oil spray
250g half-fat margarine
100g caster sugar
4 tbsp granulated sweetener
3 large free-range eggs
250g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
Finely grated zest of 2 limes
200g courgettes, grated
For the icing
100g icing sugar
1 tbsp light cream cheese
1 tbsp lime juice
Grated zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to fan 180°C/gas 4. Spray a 900g (2lb) non-stick loaf tin with a few sprays of oil.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand whisk and large bowl, cream together the margarine, caster sugar and sweetener until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground cardamom together over the mixture, add the vanilla seeds and lime zest and fold in gently, using a spatula, until just combined. Lastly, fold in the grated courgettes.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and gently level the surface. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 50–60 minutes. To test, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake: it should come out clean; if not give it a little longer.
- Once cooked, leave the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, in a bowl, whisk the icing sugar, cream cheese and lime juice together until smoothly combined.
- Spread the icing on top of the cake and sprinkle with the lime zest. Cut into 8 thick slices to serve.