SPAR Easy Meals
Cook Time: 20 mins
What you'll need
- 250g plain flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g soft unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 or 3 tubes red gel food colouring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 175 ml buttermilk or low fat natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 175g cream cheese
- 70g soft unsalted butter
- 35g icing sugar, sifted
- 24 large white marshmallows
- 24 mini white marshmallows
- Black gel food colouring
- Put 24 cupcake cases into 2 muffin trays.
- In one bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate.
- In another cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add the red gel colouring and the vanilla and mix well.
- Add a spoonful of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and one egg, beat to combine, add a bit more of the flour then the other egg, beat again .
- Fold in the rest of the flour mixture then beat in the buttermilk and vinegar.
- Divide between the cases and bake at 170C for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together the cream cheese icing sugar and butter until smooth and chill well.
- While the cakes cool and the icing chills, make the ghosts .
- Slice one third off the top of a large marshmallow , squash the larger piece down a bit to widen then put the top back on to make the head.
- Take a mini mallow and twist the top between thumb and forefinger to get a point brush the bottom with water to make it sticky then pop on too of the head.
- Make eyes with tiny dots of the black gel.
- To finish, spread a little of the icing onto each cupcake and top with a marshmallow ghost.
- If pushed for time, use any cupcake mix and ready made creamy icing and top with the ghosts.