Cook Time: 10 mins
Afternoon tea would not be complete without freshly made scones!
What you'll need
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g butter
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 3-4 tbsp water
- jam and clotted cream to serve
- Sift together 225g self raising flour with 1 tsp baking powder into a large bowl.
- Rub in 50g butter, stir in a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp caster sugar.
- Beat an egg with 3tbsp cold water, reserve 1 tsp.
- Combine the egg and flour mixtures to a soft dough adding more water if you need to.
- Roll out on a floured work surface to 1.5cm cm thick and cut rounds using a 6cm fluted cutter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, brushed with the reserved egg and bake at 220C for 8-10 mins until golden and risen.
- Serve with strawberry jam and clotted cream.