This comforting classic takes you back to somewhere simpler, before computers, before cupcakes…
What you'll need
320g pack of shortcrust pastry
454g bottle of Golden Syrup
50g butter plus extra for greasing
2 egg yolks
100ml single cream
A dash of vanilla paste if you have it, or vanilla essence
Half a lemon
A pinch of salt
- Grease a 24cm loose bottomed tin and heat oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry.
- Line your greased tin, leaving a good overlap as the pastry will shrink.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove paper and beans and bake again until slightly golden.
- Melt the Golden Syrup with the butter and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and single cream plus a dash of vanilla paste if you have it, or vanilla essence, a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Add this to the cooled buttery syrup and stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Put syrupy crumby mix into the pastry case, decorate as you feel, or leave plain.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with cream, crème fraiche or ice cream!