Honey Glazed Ham
Cook Time: 4 hours 25 mins
A superb centre piece for your Easter dinner table
What you'll need
For the Ham
• 1.8kg Cookstown gammon joint
• 1 SPAR fresh onion, peeled and quartered
• 2lt Coke
For the Glaze
• 2 tbsp honey
• 200g golden syrup
• 200g soft dark brown sugar
• 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
• 1 tsp English mustard
• 3 tsp ground cloves
• Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Leave the gammon out of the fridge for 15 minutes before cooking.
- Sit the gammon into a large pot and add the onion and the Coke.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a good simmer. Next place the lid on top and cook for 2.5 hours.
- Remove the gammon from the pot and allow the ham to rest for at least 30 minutes or until it is cool enough to handle.
- Place the rest of the other ingredients into a saucepan and put on a medium heat and cook out for 5-10 minutes. Keep stirring so the glaze doesn’t burn.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put the ham into a roasting tray. Cut off the gammon skin ensuring that you leave a layer
of fat. Score the fat in a diamond criss-cross pattern, then roast for 15 minutes or until the fat becomes slightly crispy. Remove from the oven and rub the glaze all over the meat. Return to the oven, placing the roast the other way around to allow for even roasting, for about 15 minutes and baste frequently until beautifully golden and crisp.
- Rest the ham for another 30 minutes before slicing.