Carrot Hot Dogs
Cook Time: 10 mins
Whether you’re vegetarian or vegan, hot dogs can still happen thanks to this carrot dog recipe. In fact, they’re surprisingly convincing at first glance.
What you'll need
Carrots – one per hot dog roll
Hot dog rolls
Marinade ingredients – flavour to your preference – we like a teriyaki marinade using soy sauce, honey, garlic power, ground ginger, but feel free to adapt to your tastes
Condiments to serve such as mustard, ketchup, mayo
It takes a bit of prep time in advance, but trust us, this is well worth it. For maximum flavours, you’ll want to prepare your carrots the day before your BBQ.
- Peel your carrots, trimming and shaping the ends so that they’ll fit in a bun and also have an almost “hot dog” shape
- Boil your carrots in water until they are tender, but not too soft, if you use a fork
- Leave your carrots to cool, then place in a dish, and pour over your chosen marinade.
- Leave in the fridge, ideally overnight but for at least one hour, to let the flavours sink in.
- BBQ time? Remove your carrots from the fridge and grill them on the BBQ or heat through in a pan, to get those final flavours coming through. Make sure your carrots are piping hot throughout before serving.
- Get creative! It’s time to assemble your carrot hot dogs. Place one carrot in each hot dog roll, and drizzle over mustard, ketchup, fried onions – whatever works for you.
If you want to make them vegan, make sure you have checked your rolls and marinade ingredients are all vegan before starting to cook. Head to your local convenience store to stock up on ingredients!