At a Glance
Craving something sweet at the breakfast table? We hear you. And our American style pancake recipe is a straightforward guide to melt-in-the-mouth pancakes.
How to make American style pancakes
Fuse sweet and savoury with our American style pancakes. Whether dripping with syrup, slathered in butter, or topped with something salty, these pancakes are guaranteed crowd pleaser. (Y’all).
What you'll need:
- 200g self-raising flour
- 3 eggs (or egg replacer)
- 30g melted butter (or plant-based alternative)
- 200ml milk (or plant-based alternative)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- Blueberries or other fresh berries
- Greek Yoghurt (or plant-based alternative)
- Chocolate Chips
- Streaky Bacon or plant-based alternative (fried until crispy)
- Maple syrup
Tips & Tweaks
For a more potent hit of sweetness, try mixing a teaspoon of vanilla essence into your pancake batter.
Everyone’s got a story of some legendary pancake toss, but in New York in 2010, one intrepid pancake flipper set the bar high (literally) with an awe-inspiring 31ft 1 in toss. (We neither recommend nor condone tossing your American-style pancakes 31ft in the air.)
Pick up all the ingredients you need for this sweet treat from your local SPAR. Love our recipe for American-stylepancakes? Sign up to our E-newsletter for some more delicious surprises – from seasonal recipes and guides to our latest deals and competitions.
- Mix the self-raising flour, baking powder, sugar and a pinch of salt together in a bowl or mixing jug.
- Once mixed, make a well in the bowl and add the eggs, 25g of melted butter and the milk.
- Whisk together until the batter is smooth. This is easiest with an electric whisk or hand beater, but you can do this with a wooden spoon if needed. Top tip: Once whisked, you can add some berries or chocolate chips into the batter if you wish.
- Heat the last 5g of butter in a pan and cook your pancakes, flipping them once they are golden brown.
- Serve with your choice of topping.
So, if a delicious breakfast dish is what you desire, look no further than our easy American style pancake recipe. With the salty bacon and sweet maple syrup – it's a match made in heaven! Pick up all the ingredients you need for this sweet treat from your local SPAR. Love our recipe for American style pancakes? Sign up to our E-newsletter for some more delicious surprises – from seasonal recipes and guides, to our latest deals and competitions.