At a Glance
Mince pies - the ultimate festive snack for the Christmas period. Learn how to make perfect mince pies the whole family can enjoy with help from SPAR.
What’s Christmas without tucking into homemade mince pies in front of the fire? Arguably the most festive of all the Christmas cuisine, learn how to make your own mince pies perfect for the whole family.
How To Make Mince Pies
And with SPAR, making mince pies couldn’t be easier. Served warm or chilled with a zest of fruit flavour, learn how to make mince pies that will satisfy Christmas cravings throughout the entire festive period.
What you'll need:
- 375g Plain Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 Large Eggs (1 beaten for glazing)
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 250g Butter (softened)
- 1 jar Mincemeat
- Lemon Zest
- 2 Satsumas (segmented)
- Icing Sugar (for dusting)
- 1 Apple (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 220⁰ C.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl, then add the butter to rub together, creating a breadcrumb mixture. Next, add the caster sugar, salt and one egg. Stir well.
- Place your mixture on a floured surface, folding the mixture until the pastry comes together. Wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the refrigerator for 10 mins.
- Combine your mincemeat, satsumas, apple and lemon zest together into a bowl. Stir well until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Next, roll out your cooled pastry and cut out 10 circular bases – or however many holes your muffin tray has – using a round pastry cutter. Place these bases into a muffin tray and add your mincemeat mixture to each base.
- Repeat the method for cutting out 10 lids, placing them on top of the pies and glazing each pie with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle the icing sugar on top of the pies and, using a fork, make a couple of small cuts in the tops of the lids.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20 mins until golden brown. Leave to stand for 10 mins to cool, and then your homemade mince pies are ready to serve.
Whether it’s an after-work treat with an accompanying cuppa, or more of a dessert served with custard, rum butter or brandy, there are endless ways to serve up your homemade mince pies. Find everything you need to make your own mince pies from your nearest convenience store.