Creamy Chicken Cottage Pie
SPAR Easy Meals
Cook Time: 20 mins
For a quick and easy family dinner you must try this hearty cottage pie packed with juicy chicken and topped with mash and cheddar cheese, the perfect midweek meal.
What you'll need
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- SPAR enjoy local chicken fillets, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp low-fat crème fraîche or double cream
- 1 x 1kg bag of maris piper potatoes
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 50g Cheddar, grated, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- Bacon (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or shallow casserole. Add the chicken and onions and cook until golden. Add bacon (Optional) and cook for 15 minutes, until crispy. Scatter over the flour and stir until absorbed.
- Gradually pour in the stock then cook for 5 mins, or until the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat showing and the sauce has thickened. Preheat the grill to its highest setting. Stir the crème fraîche or cream into the chicken mixture and season well. Carefully pour the mixture into a large baking dish.
- Boil potatoes for 20 minutes or until soft , then stir in the parsley, milk or butter and grate cheese over the top and spoon it evenly over the chicken mixture, then top with a little extra cheese. Grill until the topping is golden and crisp. Serve.