Planning an at-home date night? Looking to spruce up your menu? Try out our red wine pasta recipe! The perfect dinner for two, serve up this red wine with pasta to impress. It’s quick and easy to make, but offers restaurant standard quality for your date – with some leftovers for a rainy day. Find out how to make our red wine pasta dish below.
Penne Red Wine
Cook Time: 35 mins
Trust us, this red wine penne pasta dish is a corker.
- In a large saucepan, heat the garlic and oil over a medium heat. Add black pepper and 1.5 tbsp of butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant but not browned – this should take about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, increase heat to medium-high and bring your red wine pasta sauce to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by two-thirds (around 20–25 minutes). Then, season with salt, cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente – about 3 minutes shy of the recommended cooking time.
- Drain the pasta and add it to your red wine sauce, along with the remaining 6.5 tbsp of butter. Set your pot over a medium heat and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cook the red wine pasta dish, tossing often, until the pasta is well coated and the sauce has thickened (about 3 minutes). Taste and season with more salt or pepper if needed.
- Divide pasta among bowls, drizzle with oil and top with a generous serving of Parmesan before serving.
Find everything you need to make our delicious, rich red wine pasta sauce at your local SPAR. For more date night inspiration, sign up to our E-newsletter and receive regular foodie updates, the latest SPAR recipes and information about our upcoming deals and competitions.