Serves: 4 people
Cook Time: 55 mins
Quick and easy recipe for vegetable pie. A perfect winter warmer for vegetarians and a great way to enjoy a selection of fresh seasonal vegetables. Cut through the crispy pastry topping to reveal deliciously baked vegetables full of flavour.
What you'll need
- 300g carrots
- 500g parsnips
- 2 onions
- 2 red or orange peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 tbsp green or red pesto
- 500g puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Peel and cut 300g carrots and 500g parsnips into small pieces. Thinly slice 2 onions and chop 2 red or orange peppers. Toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, 4 cloves garlic (skin on) and 2 sprigs rosemary in a large roasting tin. Roast for 30 minutes until tender and beginning to char.
- Squeeze the flesh from the garlic cloves, discarding the skin and mix in a bowl with the vegetables and 3 tbsp red or green pesto.
- Cut a thin strip from one edge of a 500g block of puff pastry and set aside. Cut the remainder in half, dust the work top with flour and roll each to the same sized square. Place 1 piece on a lightly greased baking tray and top with the filling taking it nearly to the edges. Brush round the edge with a little beaten egg and place the other piece on top. Knock the edges together with the round end of a knife to seal.
- Roll the set aside strip of pastry into a long strip and cut 4 long diamonds to make leaves. Brush the pie all over with the egg, decorate with the leaves and brush them with egg too. Make 3 small holes in top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
Want more tasty ideas to spice up weekday dinners? Visit our blog for helpful how to’s, recipes and more. Now it’s time to get cracking on making your roasted vegetable pie – find everything you’ll need from your local convenience store.
SPAR Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi
This zesty Italian wine, from near the Adriatic coast, has a delicate herb and almond palate which will pair well with lots of delicate yet savoury dishes including this vegetable pie.