Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
The best ever spaghetti Bolognese, it is super easy and a true Italian classic with a meaty, chilli sauce.
What you'll need
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 ,medium onions finely chopped
- 2 carrots, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary leaves picked and finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
For the Sauce
- 2 x 400g tins tomatoes
- small pack basil leaves picked, ¾ finely chopped and the rest left whole for garnish
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 6 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
To season and serve
1.Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
2.Add 4 finely chopped bacon rashers and fry for 10 mins until golden and crisp.
3.Reduce the heat and add the 2 onions, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 2 garlic cloves and the leaves from 2-3 sprigs rosemary, all finely chopped, then fry for 10 mins.
4.Increase the heat to medium-high, add 500g beef mince and cook stirring for 3-4 mins until the meat is browned all over.
5.Add 2 tins of tomatoes, the finely chopped leaves from ¾ small pack basil, 1 tsp dried oregano, 2 bay leaves, 2 tbsp tomato purée, 1 beef stock cube, 1 deseeded and finely chopped red chilli and 6 halved cherry tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the tomatoes.
6.Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hr 15 mins stirring occasionally, until you have a rich, thick sauce.
7.Add the 75g grated parmesan, check the seasoning and stir.
8.When the Bolognese is nearly finished, cook 400g spaghetti following the pack instructions.
9.Drain the spaghetti and either stir into the Bolognese sauce, or serve the sauce on top. Serve with more grated parmesan, the remaining basil leaves and crusty bread, if you like.