Steak & Gravy Pie
SPAR Easy Meals
Cook Time: 2 hours 0 mins
A hearty pie packed with all the goodness encased in a buttery pastry.
What you'll need
- Steak pieces
- The Greengrocer's mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 375g Lighter ready to roll shortcrust pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml beef stock
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat half the oil in a large casserole pan. Cook the beef, in 2 batches, for 7 – 10mins until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for 5 mins until soft.
- Stir in the flour until well coated.
- Crumble in the stock cube, then return the beef to the pan and top up with water if necessary. Cover and simmer for 1½hrs until the beef is really tender. Then leave to cool. Can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6/200°C/Fan 180°C. Spoon the beef and enough juice to cover it, into a large pie dish.
- Place the pastry on top and cut away any excess with a sharp knife. Then use your fingers to crimp around the edge of the pie. Make a small slit in the centre of the pie for air to escape. Brush all over with the egg.
- Cook for 30–40 minutes until golden and crisp. Heat any remaining beef liquid and serve alongside with some mash and greens.
McColgan's Steak & Gravy Pie- Chunks of tender beef in a rich gravy with delicious golden puff pastry
1.Oven bake for 10-15 mins
2.Serve with veg, mash & chips