SPAR Easy Meals
Cook Time: 1 hour 45 mins
What you'll need
- 300ml White Sauce
- 1.5kg Beef Bolognese
- 300g Dried Lasagne Sheets
- 100g Grated Mature Cheddar
To make the White Sauce
- 250ml Whole Milk
- 1 medium Diced Onion
- 2 cloves Diced Garlic
- 30g Butter
- 30g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Ground White Pepper to taste
To make the Beef Bolognese
- 600g Minced Beef
- 150g Smoked Streaky Bacon
- 500g Chopped Tomatoes
- 200ml Red Cooking Wine
- 2 medium Diced Onion
- 2 Diced Carrots
- 150g Tomato Puree
- 120ml Water
- 60gm Sliced Closed Cup Mushrooms
- 30g Demerara Sugar
- 30g Balsamic Vinegar
- 30g gravy granules
- 6 finely chopped Garlic cloves
- 1 handful Fresh Basil
- 30gm Beef Bouillon Paste or 2 Beef Stock Cubes
- 20gm Fresh Thyme, thyme stripped
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Salt and Ground White Pepper to taste
- In a large pot season and sear the minced beef with salt & pepper, make sure the beef is brown and caramelised before removing.
- In the same pan add the bacon and cook until it has caramelised nicely, then add all the vegetables, cooking until soft. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pan, get all the meat and bacon flavours off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef and all the other ingredients back into the pan (hold back the basil).
- Let this simmer for at least 1hour then add the basil. Taste and season with salt and pepper to preference.
- In a thick based pan at a high heat, melt the butter and add the onions and the garlic, cook until the onions are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until it thickens and the mix is starting to come away from the sides of the pan.
- Slowly add the milk and stir until smooth.
- Once all the milk is added turn down the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add in the mustard and the seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the Lasagne:
- Layer up the beef mix with lasagne sheets and (at least 4 layers), pour over the white sauce and finally top with the cheddar cheese. Bake at 175deg C. for 40 mins.
- Although it’s baked with cheddar we love a touch of fresh grated parmesan on top when serving.